Big Bend Part 2


The drive into the Chisos Mountains.

   As I said before, this mountain range is entirely inside of Big Bend National Park.  With the elevation you will find animals and plants from the mountains, for example, the southern most aspens are found here, as well as oaks and pine trees.  There is a special species of bear found here, as well as mountain lions.  I find this all fascinating.





This is called Casa Grande.  7,325 feet.



This is a plaque and statue at the visitor’s center.  This caught my eye because falcons were my school’s mascot.  “Once a falcon, always a falcon.”  I did see several in the park, but I wasn’t able to get any pictures.





We took the shorter trip of the.......

This is a popular place to see sunsets.





 Things I saw along the path.....
This is a century agave, I believe


I’m pretty sure this is a sotol, great for basket weaving.


A typical blooming yucca plant.  Desert Candle?  Anyway, some species of Yuccas take 20-50 years to grow.  They bloom once, then die.  There are 11 species of yuccas in Big Bend.  I saw this kind a lot.


Here is the topographic map found at the visitor’s center.  The larger view is taken from the angle of our RV park.  



Mountains in the middle of the desert.


Here are a few views of the mountains from the road.




Cell signal is starting to slow down.  Time for me to go for a walk in the 70 degree humidity.  Ahhhhh. Richard is giving the pool and jacuzzi another chance.  I’m going to look for cardinals and deer.  Thanks for reading, next installment will be about our trip to Mexico!

Blessings and Hugs



Comments

  1. Those mountains in the next to last pic look interesting, how close can one get to them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment