Benson Brown.

Sounds like a name of some wild west cowboy? 

This is called Benson Brown because I'm reporting from Benson and everything seems brown, waiting for spring.

A few days ago we went south to Vista Sierra because I needed yarn and a hook from Joanns.  This one is half the size of the one in Fairbanks.  We find a lot of stores that way.  Sure Benson has a Walmart, but the food section is like the size of one you'd see at a gas station.  So I have a hard time finding some of the specialty items I've gotten used to like roasted pumpkin seeds.  I think I'll be ordering on Amazon once we get to Needles and have an address for a month.
Here are pics from a few days ago.

 How do you like the cell phone tower?  Fairbanks can do that with theirs, almost looks like a FBKS tree.  See what I mean by everything looks brown?  The cactus look nice.  I wonder what the trees look like in the spring.  That should happen in middle February here.  I was told that is when you can start seeing the road runners again.



Yesterday Richard and I went north to Tuscon to pick up dog food and a part for my CPap machine.  I changed out the tubing, mask, and water container for my CPap before we left.  The elbow that connects the tube to the mask was missing.  They found me one, no charge!  Yea!  It was just a supply store for all things dealing with air like CPaps and Oxygen. 
We went to PetCo for dog food.  We always have this discussion, "What did we get last time?  It was Venison something.  I don't think it is here.  Here's the other kind with the freeze dried chunks that Artie likes.  But it is 10 dollars more than this kind.  No, can't do sweet potatoes, I think that makes Leinen vomit."  So a new high quality, low ingredient, same brand, cheaper without the freeze dried chunks.  Artie can afford to lose 2 pounds. 
Now pics from Tuscon
 You can see the color of the building in the above picture.  Everything seems to be painted drab brownish colors.  I don't know if they are really drab, or if I was just in a drab mood.  It was very cloudy the whole day.  The mountains are brown.  I don't really want to say bad things about Arizona, but beauty is hard to find in January.  I remember that about PA!  I love the snow and the pastel colors of Alaska in the winter.  BUT!  On the positive.  We can go to the hot tub here.  The cactus are pretty cool.  I don't have to take 5 minutes putting on a lot of gear just to walk the dogs for 3 minutes.  And since it is warmer, walking the dogs can last longer than 3 minutes-Yeah for Artie!
I did find this color in a neighborhood.  I wonder if the house is a day care.  Then look at the pic on the right.  The newer housing developments are all done in these drab colors. 


After our trip to Tuscon we went to what I think is downtown Benson.  It is a main road through town, and there might be more town we don't see.  They have murals painted around the town, part of a beautification project.  Here are some:  This one is at the Horse Shoe Cafe.  It looked promising inside.
 This one advertises the local caverns that we visited last November.
The man on the lower right looks real in this pic, but he is a part of the painting.  This is painted on the side of a tattoo parlor.  lol
This one was so large, I couldn't get it all in and make it look good.  I forgot to take a pic of the far left of the mural which showed cowboys rounding up horses.

 Yes, the below 2 are part of the same mural, and there was more to the left.



 These two and the train below are part of the visitor's parking area for the Visitor's Center


I thought the colors of this tree pretty.  The plant/cactus? below is shot from straight above it.  If I had a desert garden I'd plant a few of these.
This means a lot to me.
A local truck, and a local yokel.  One of the dogs was howling like a hound as he was riding along.
Now to close today's blog, a few pictures taken here near our park.
I like this kind of cactus.  I'm going to study up on the names.
 I walked up the road, up a small hill, and took a picture of our park looking at the mountains.  Then there is the holes.  Holes of all sizes.  No ants right now.  BUT What in the World made this HUGE one?  Way too big for a rabbit.  Do those wild looking pigs live here?  Need more research.  Anyone can comment here or on fb with the answer!
 And the sunset.  I climbed up onto the roof of our RV for this pic.  Not too exciting.  Was gone in 30 seconds.  lol.

 That's it for today.  Oh, a crochet update.  I've started a scarf for Reuben.  It is using only the half double crochet stitch so it goes rather quickly.  I work on that while watching Netflix or YouTube.  My cowl/shawl thing is about half way done.  That takes a little more concentration, but I work on it when I am listening to an Audible Book.  Then is the crocodile.  That takes full concentration since every row is different. 

My Instant Pot steel cut oats are now finished.  I wished Richard's cough was finished!  It is frustrating having it hang on so long.

I need to think of a cute ending to all my blogs besides goodbye.








Comments

  1. Brown tends to be the prevalent color....but it looks better on sunny days. I've been to Sierra Vista (back in the 80s), was visiting a college friend who went through ROTC with me. The Army's Military Intelligence School used to be there...not sure now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot of brown in the desert, but I actually like it. The shots of the murals and cactus are great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment