SLC 2

Hello, I'm back with Day 2 of our visit to SLC.  On this day, Martha and I decided to go on our own to see what we could see.  We had plans to go shopping, but that didn't happen.  Instead, we learned more about the Mormons.  We spent the whole time in the Temple Square area.  All the guides around were young ladies with name tags that mentioned which country they were from.  It was enjoyable going with Martha because she had the best questions.  We found out that they work at Temple Square for a certain time as a part of their mission.  Each girl for a foreign country is matched with an American.  They had young men also doing it,but stopped it because the tourists were more afraid of them because they looked like guards.  The Temple Square included the Temple, Tabernacle, a few museums, a few more church like buildings and lots of flowers and statues. Every bride had their Book of Mormon clutched in their hands.  Free books were everywhere.  They all looked the same.  You go to my church and you see big Bibles, little Bibles, and all colors of colors.  
This is the temple.  Martha was hoping to see brides coming out,but it was closed for the yearly renovations.  We were able to see a cut out of the inside.  This is not where Mormons go for worship.  It is made up of several rooms.  I hear that all the temples have these rooms.  If I have the facts wrong, I apologize, this is just what I remember.  There is a room where one goes to have classes on creation.  There are several other rooms where you go for certain classes.  There is a "celestial" room.  This room is decorated with white furniture.  It is said in this room you can feel like you are close to heaven.  Hmmm.  You also need to wear certain white clothes to enter the temple.  It seems to me to be based on a lot of man made traditions and rules.  
At the top of the temple is a gold statue of Moroni, the angle that visited Joseph Smith. This is a reflection of the temple in water.

Here is their statue of Jesus.  It is in a room with benches where you can sit and contemplate.  There are the young missionary girls waiting to talk.  I think there was a recording also, but we didn't stay to listen.  This building also had displays from the Bible, and Joseph Smith's revelation.
We then popped into the tabernacle.  This isn't where we saw the choir rehearsal.  That was in the Convention Center across the street.  The tabernacle wouldn't have been able to have the orchestra.  There's 140 singers in the choir.  There are strict rules and try outs to be in the choir, and it is only for a certain number of years, or until a certain age to keep the seniors out when their voices start to go, so we were told.

We were to return later for an organ concert.
Some of the beautiful flowers the have planted.


Does anyone know what kind these are?  
One of the stories from the exodus into the SLC area is about the first crops that were planted.  It all looked good until the grasshoppers came and started eating the crops.  All was well when seagulls came and ate the grasshoppers.  There are many statues of seagulls in SLC.  
I don't remember what this building was, but it is in Temple Square. The inside was like a church and it had its own organ too.  I'm being paged for lunch........ 
I am going to finish this now.  I already mentioned I like fountains.  This was in the shopping area across the street from Temple Square.  Martha and I popped in here to have lunch.  We were going to shop, too, but it was too hot.

This was in a museum that had history of the Temple.  There was a beautiful display of furniture and architecture from the Temple.  This chair once sat in the temple.  I like the back.
I have seen big churches all over the country.  My first impression of the temple was that I thought it quite small.  Then reading into the history of it I am impressed this building was built in the 1800's.  As a building it is impressive, but as a temple where God dwells, I don't' think so.  When Jesus died on the cross the veil in the temple tore in two allowing man's access to God everywhere, not just in a building.  

More beauty.  My take from this visit.  I am not a Mormon hater, I just want to share my life mpressions and beliefs.  From the outside I can see how their church looks so inviting.  The grounds are beautiful.  The scriptures posted all around are hopeful, joyful, uplifting.  They don't believe in Hell.  Everyone wins at the end.  We went into their bookstore.  Looks like any old Christian book store I've been in, but suddenly I figured out what was blantantly different.  There were no crosses.  No salvation message.  I'm sure things were tough when they moved to SLC area and started farming.  There were trials and tribulations, their leader was murdered.  It is all a mystery.  Anyway I believe what I believe.  

Comments

  1. More great photos! I can't really say that SLC needs to be one someone's travel itinerary, and if so, surely not for as much time as we spent in the area...but I really enjoyed spending time with you, Richard and your furry "boys" and I found the "let's just wander" opportunity something to treasure, as these days everyone's schedule tends to be filled with a lengthy list of "to do" or at least "should be doing" things! Wishing you cooler travels as you continue homeward: 100 degree weather has gotten old I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Martha's comments re the pics...your positioning of the pics of the temple and its reflection was great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment