Zion National Park

 Zion National Park.

I didn't take many pictures on this trip, but I will when we go next week. 


The first thing we decided to do was to drive in to the park, up the windy road through the tunnel.  We were planning on hiking the overlook hike that starts right at the exit of the tunnel, but there was no parking.  So we drove further up until we found a place to park and walked around there.

 The tunnel was made in the 30's and so it doesn't really have the size for today's buses and large RV's.  The now make it one way with ppl on either side letting cars through.  That is why there is a long line waiting to go in. 
I enjoyed climbing on this slope.  No one went all the way to the top.  When I would go into the forests of Pennsylvania I would be found climbing all over the rocks.  I was also an avid tree climber.  If I was camping I had to be in the top bunk.  I loved climbing to the top of the 5th wheel.  So I really enjoyed scrambling along these rocks.  Richard stood in one spot and watched.  Tim kept an eye out for this old step-mother to make sure I was ok.  Short legs do make some places difficult.

     Juniper trees are my favorite tree.  This is a Utah Juniper up close.  See the blueish flower looking things in the middle?  Pretty cool.  I thought they were flowers of the Juniper Tree.  Um, this tree doesn't flower.  What is it?  Research!  Love research!  These are galls.
These half inch, blue-white galls (benign but abnormal tissue growth) are fairly common on Utah Juniper.  The precise cause of the galls is not known: 1) They may result from wasps or flies laying eggs on the branch (the blue tree growth would then inadvertently protect and give nourishment to the eggs and larvae), and/or 2) they may be caused by the larvae feeding on the tree cells.  In either case, the tree is apparently trying to isolate the irritation.  

According to Picture This, this is a Tanseyleaf tansyaster.  The plant looks dead except for the purple flowers.



And we found this awesome canyon.  I'm hoping out trip to Antelope Canyon is this nice.



 There was a tree growing at the very top.  Some of its roots were growing down the crevice. 

Just a reminder that it is fall in Utah, too.  A maple tree.


     On the left is a Greenleaf manzanita and on the right is a California fuchsia.  The fruit of the Manzanita are utilized by bear and deer.  The leaves and bark were used by Native Americans to treat cuts and burns. 

     The long road we drove on that had a tunnel was uphill all the way, even in the tunnel.  Or downhill as we went back.  There were a few spots in the tunnel where they had a window carved out.  I imagine it was a spot to stop and look out back in the 30's.  You can't stop today, but I was able to get a pic of one of those spots as we were driving through.  And got a little birdie in the pic. 

And for the Star Wars fans, frog fans, music fans, metal fans........

See you at the next blog!   Bridget


Comments

Post a Comment