Big Bend, Part 1

   I am currently typing this while doing laundry at TT laundromat.  We are at Medina Lake.  I absolutely love this park because there are many trails through the forest here.  Walking in the trees is my happy place.  Well, the trees are mostly Juniper, which those of you who have been following me know that is one of my favorite trees.  The sad thing is the Jacuzzi here gets a thumbs down from Richard.  I am currently sitting outside.  My watch says it is 76 degrees right now, but there is a nice, easy breeze blowing.  Not bad because today was predicted to be in the 60’s with thunderstorms.  This blog is about our travels from El Paso to Big Bend.  I posted silly pics of the petting farm on facebook, so I won’t repeat these here.  More details about where we stopped over night would be found on Richard’s blog.

On the road again. Leaving El Paso.

This part of Texas isn’t flat.


A dormant volcano!


The border patrol blimp on I10.  Marfa, TX.  They send this aloft on a tether to go in a circular path.  It watches border traffic.


This looked like a church turned into a garage.  



Views of parts of Big Bend



We were driving on flat land for 2 days, then this!
BTW, the cliffs in the distance are in Mexico.




     Big Bend National Park.  We didn’t know anything about it, but several people said it was amazing.  I really liked it.  Several people also said to make sure to hear Jesus, pronounced Yesus.  The uniqueness  of this park is that it has 3 different eco-systems.  First, and the largest, is the Chihuahuan Desert.  Remember the El Paso Zoo?  The second and most surprising is that there is a mountain range that is totally inside the national park.  Third, is the Rio Grande River.

     All of the above pictures were taken as we were driving to our campsite at the Rio Grande Village RV park.  Shortly after arriving we decided to go for a hike.  We went on the Boquillas Canyon Trail. 1.4 miles round trip.  

This is my first view of the Rio Grande.  It is much smaller than I expected. I have a theory why I am shocked at how little water it has.  There are pictures of this river from the 50’s.  The river channel changed a lot back then.  Due to something the water level has dropped, and the plants along its sides have changed and are cane type that holds the channel.  Well, if I saw pictures of  the Rio Grande when I was a child in the 60’s, and I haven’t seen any since then, then what I remember is a much larger river.

This is along the trail.  Terrain has changed considerably from Arizona.  The rocks are all pretty white.  They are not smooth, but have craters on them.  The pathway is pretty rocky.


Here’s another view of the river, and Richard taking a pic himself.



Mexico, of course, is on the other side.  The picture below shows a horse tied up.


As you walk along this trail you will find displays of Mexican craft work for sale.  “For the children.”  On the way back on this trail there was a Mexican on a horse checking the money containers.  Later I asked a ranger how legal that was because I wanted to purchase a wire road runner.  She said it is illegal.  As soon as they clear it away, another pops back up.  It’s like playing Whack-a-Mole.


Beautiful walk


If you look carefully, you might see a white dot in the middle of this pic.  That is the white hat belonging to “The Singing Jesus.”  Yes, he’s over there in Mexico singing at the top of his lungs, his money jar in USA.  



At the end of the trail we found these burrows across in Mexico.

   I’m sorry, but that is all for today.  It is now 10:00.  It took a long time to get the pics on this blog.  I will try to start earlier tomorrow.  Since tomorrow is Monday, maybe Verizon won’t be as busy.  WiFi wouldn’t update my phone at the laundromat, nor put pictures on my blog.  Not able to watch TV, either.  Oh, But I really love walking in the woods and biking in this park.  

Thanks for reading.













Comments

Post a Comment